Thursday, July 2, 2009

A New Way to be Human...

I have been in Missouri for exactly seventeen days. That feels like a long time. I still have forty-five days here, but who is counting. I'm counting down the days till I leave, yet counting the days of this 'journey' God has given to me. I am disappointed in myself for not being where I want to be spiritually. I have wasted a lot of time, not really depressed or mad but just sitting around. I feel that now this trip is going to be a turning point and new things are going to come out of it.

Now being here for seventeen days I have learned a lot about Missouri, especially Louisiana, Missouri. Missouri is completely different from Mississippi. Really the only thing in common is that well.. I can't think of anything. I can tell you important things I have learned.

1. In Louisiana, everything closes by nine. Nice restaurants (the three of them) close at eight. Fast food restaurants close at nine. Wal- Mart and Kroger both close at nine. On Sundays, restaurants close at two. As long as it takes us to decide where to eat this just wouldn't work for us.

2. People are completely different. The personalities here are nothing like the personalities in Mississippi. Yes, there are a lot of nice people here, but people are just not the same. I am holding many sarcastic remarks in because I don't know who would be able to handle them.

3. I have learned a lot about business and companies. When applying for a job do not call every day to check up on your application (and don't even think about going in to check on it unless they call you). Don't even call five times. Call three times at the most but make sure your calls are spread out over several weeks. It's really annoying to human resources and the receptionist to call a lot. Sometimes they won't hire you because of it.

4. Do not smoke a cigarette right before you come in to fill out an application. You will smell bad and it isn't professional someone may walk by and smell you and not want to hire you. (Someone just did that and is now filling out a application)

5. Don't bring people with you to an interview or to fill out an application.

6. Be nice to the boss' kid. Not all of boss' kids are spoiled, self centered, and rude all most people think.

7. Most people in Louisiana don't know what a Chick-fil-A is.. yes, I know what you are thinking.. how could they not know. There are only three in the St. Louis area. I haven't had CFA in twelve days.. that is a new record. That will be my first meal back in Mississippi.

8. God has taught a big lesson since I have been here. I don't need anyone but Him. I have realized that I am content with just a few people to hang out with. Don't get me wrong I love all my friends and I miss them greatly. But I realized that I could make it a summer without some people.. I don't always have to be around people and I don't always have to rely on people.

I am sure that there is more.. I just haven't figured it all out yet. That's nothing new.

I want to go on a mission trip. Maybe one by myself. I want to get out and explore what God has created. Maybe God has given me this trip to prepare for something bigger.

"My debut is coming soon and you already know what I'm gonna do.
You got my time on the dotted line but you show up invited
But before I sign it someone say I'm not making mistakes and please don't be fake.
My debut comes today and my feelings have all run away.
With the man that I am but understand if I don't keep going
It just goes to show thatI've been beat by an industry that I've never seen.
This is me on my knees singing take it all from me, take it all speak to my needs, my needs.
Take it all, take it all. This is me.
When you grow silent I start to fall. When you grow silent I start to fall . "

No comments:

Post a Comment