Friday, July 9, 2010

twentyfour

I am long overdue for a post.

This summer I have a job as a preschool intern at church. I love it. It has taken up most of my summer... but i wouldn't have it any other way. The time and effort that goes into everything that is done is completely worth it.

Right now, I am visiting my parents. I decided to come for a week and a half... not quite sure if that was smart or crazy for me to do. I guess we will find out in a couple of days. It hasn't been horrible though.

This week God has taught me about grace, mercy, and forgiveness which basically is all just love. I was rereading Crazy Love, couldn't have pick a better time to read it (God's plan).

Monday night, in this little town (Louisiana), a little girl down the street was kidnapped. She was playing in the front yard with her brother while her mother was inside making dinner. Her mother said she was just inside for a few minutes, but I think she never was outside... this is a safe town, she probably didn't think anything would happen. A car drove up, took her and drove away... leaving her brother to run inside and tell their mother.

At 11:00 p.m. I read an Amber alert on tv about it. Honestly, though an Amber alert is extremely serious I didn't pay much attention to it, not quite sure why, but I didn't. The next morning they were still searching, the town was filling up with people hoping to find her and our town was officially becoming talked about. As terrible as a child missing is I wasn't upset about it... I was more upset with how ugly this family was being toward the kidnapper. They made several comments about how they hope this man burns in hell and how he should get what he deserves. (I can't any imagine what our lives would be like if God gave us what we deserve).

before you think I am terrible for thinking this, just keep reading.

Here's why:
Recently, in Bible Study we talked about Matthew 18 and discussed forgiveness. We should not just forgive our brother seven times but seventy-seven times. We should not just say we are sorry, but mean it from our hearts. Forgiveness is nothing unless it comes from the heart. We also talked about the Amish community and what happened several years ago when a man came in and shot five little girls and then shot himself. This community went out and comforted his family and wrapped them in grace. They instantly forgave the man who killed five of their precious children. Honestly, that's pretty insane, but incredible at the same time. They did what God does to us... when we mess up God just wraps His arms around us and forgives us. I want to be one to do that, when something happens to me small or big... I want to be able to go to that person and just be able to forgive them, from my heart.

God forgives us, He shows us so much grace and mercy... why can't we do that for others. That is basically the one thing we are to do here.. love others, we can't even do that.

Now don't get me wrong, if someone took my child I would be quite upset and I don't blame them for being upset, and I can't say that I would be one to instantly forgive. Not knowing where your child is, if they are safe or alive is pretty frightening and that's an understatement. But it isn't a time to be name calling, hoping for the worst for the terrible person who would do such a thing, or blaming God. It's a time to just go to The Maker and find strength in Him. There is always hope.

The little girl was found just shortly 24 hours after her disappearance, such a blessing. She wasn't harmed at all, the man just gave her a haircut. Today, she was welcomed home and the town was thrilled to see her. The man, unfortunately, took his life just after the girl was found.

I am just a little worried that this family and this town will grow bitterness towards this man. I want them to be able to forgive so they can look towards the future.


Twenty four oceans
Twenty four skies
Twenty four failures
Twenty four tries
Twenty four finds me
In twenty-fourth place
Twenty four drop outs
At the end of the day
Life is not what I thought it was
Twenty four hours ago

Still I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You
And I'm not who I thought I was twenty four hours ago
Still I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You

Twenty four reasons to admit that I'm wrong
With all my excuses still twenty four strong

See I'm not copping out not copping out not copping out
When You're raising the dead in me
Oh, oh I am the second man
Oh, oh I am the second man now
Oh, oh I am the second man now

And You're raising these twenty four voices
With twenty four hearts
With all of my symphonies
In twenty four parts
But I wan to be one today
Centered and true

I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You
You're raising the dead in me
Oh, oh I am the second man
Oh, oh I am the second man now
Oh, oh I am the second man now
And You're raising the dead in me

I want to see miracles, see the world change
Wrestled the angel, for more than a name
For more than a feeling
For more than a cause
I'm singing Spirit take me up in arms with You
And You're raising the dead in me
Twenty four voices
With twenty four hearts
With all of my symphonies
In twenty four parts.
I'm not copping out. Not copping out. Not copping out.

No comments:

Post a Comment